Beyond the 50%: It Starts with Accurate Blood Pressure Measurement
ONLINE SELF-STUDY PROGRAM
Did you know that approximately 50 percent of people with hypertension in the United States are not adequately controlled? We can do better! It starts with accurate blood pressure measurement.
Beyond the 50%: Accurate Blood Pressure Measurement 2.0
Enhancements have been made to the first version of the online educational offering, Beyond the 50%: It Starts with Blood Pressure Measurement. The webinar audio is clearer and we have added two videos; How to position your patient for accurate blood pressure measurement and Tips and better practices for taking a blood pressure.
This evidence-based self-study program was developed in collaboration with the Wisconsin Division of Public Health, MetaStar, Inc., and the Wisconsin Nurses Association utilizing resources from the American Medical Association. It is offered FREE OF CHARGE through a chronic disease grant from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Wisconsin Division of Public Health.
PURPOSE: Protect and improve the health and safety of patients, families, and populations through accurate measurement each and every time a blood pressure is taken including by patients through self-measurement.
1. Understand the “M.A.P. Framework” as an evidence-based approach to prevention and control of hypertension developed by the American Medical Association and Johns Hopkins Medicine.
2. Learn the importance of accurate measurement and how to avoid common errors.
3. Explore how to partner with patients and engage their participation in accurate self-measurement.
TARGET AUDIENCE: All personnel measuring blood pressures or instructing patients in self-measurement, including nurses, other health professionals and assistant staff working in public/community health settings; also students in technical college/university healthcare programs.
PRESENTER: Linda Murakami, RN, MSHA – Senior Program Manager, Quality Improvement,
Improving Health Outcomes, American Medical Association
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT: A Certificate of Completion documenting 1.0 contact hour of Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) credit will be awarded to program participants who view the Program Video and complete the online Program Evaluation.
– There are no conflicts of interest for any of the planners or presenters of this educational activity.
– There was no commercial support for this educational activity.
DEADLINE FOR COMPLETION: September 30, 2019
INSTRUCTIONS: View the Program Video below. Check out the Additional Resources for information useful to your practice setting. When finished, proceed to the online Program Evaluation. You must complete and submit the evaluation form in order to receive a Certificate of Completion by email. All program participants are eligible to receive the Certificate awarding 1.0 contact hour of CNE credit…not just RNs!
PROGRAM VIDEO (53 minutes total)
- Presentation handout (PowerPoint slides)
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES – information for patients and providers on improving blood pressure outcomes – correct procedures for obtaining an accurate BP – printable resources to share:
- 7 Simple Tips to Get an Accurate BP Reading (great flyer to print/post at work!)
- Protocols for Controlling Hypertension in Adults from the Million Hearts® website
- American Medical Association – M.A.P. to Improve Blood Pressure Control webpage
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – High Blood Pressure webpage
- National Institutes of Health (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute) website
- Recommendations for BP Measurement in Humans and Animals Circulation website
- NEJM Videos in Clinical Medicine: Blood Pressure Measurement (great training video on taking BP!)
PROGRAM EVALUATION (5-10 minutes)
Click here to begin your evaluation. After submitting your evaluation, check the email address you provided for an email documenting program completion and awarding 1.0 contact hour of CNE credit.
Questions? Please contact the WNA office at 608-221-0383 or (800) 362-3959 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Wisconsin Nurses Association is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Montana Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Funding for this program was received from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services Division of Public Health through its Wisconsin Chronic Disease Prevention Program, under funding opportunity no. CDC-RFA-DP 13-1305 from the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), Department of Health and Human Services.